1865: Rev. James Coyle purchased the first land (about 4 acres from James and Mary Jones) for St. Joachim’s Cemetery. Fr. Coyle was the first resident pastor of St. Joachim’s Church.
1866: The first recorded burial was that of Ignatius Cooley, age 32, Feb. 16, 1866.
Between 1884 and 1890, Rev. Michael McSwiggan, pastor, purchased additional ground for the cemetery from Henry and Julia Wolcott.
1886: Sr. Mary Alpheus Coffey, S.C. was buried near the priests’ lot in the cemetery, the only Sister of Charity buried in the “old” cemetery.
1886: The remains of Rev. Peter McCourt, fourth pastor were transferred to the cemetery. He had originally been buried in the churchyard in 1876.
1925: The cemetery was enlarged and an iron fence installed on three sides under Rev. Thomas B. Dougherty.
1928: Fr. Dougherty, with his own money, purchased about 13 acres of land from the Ursulines on the northeast edge of the city for the new cemetery and donated the land to the church.
1931: First burial in new cemetery, Anton (Izzo), Elizabeth, age 28, Jan. 16, 1931
1934: Fr. Dougherty was buried in the priests’ plot in the “old” cemetery having died suddenly of a heart attack while sitting down to dinner on Sunday, September 9.
Between 1964 and 1982, Rev. (later Monsignor) Richard Luedke designed the “new” cemetery and had the garage and office built on the property.
1979: A new section of 120 plots for veterans was opened in the cemetery (on the left hand side as you enter the cemetery). There are also two separate plots reserved for veterans near the top of the hill in the cemetery.
1981: Msgr. Richard Luedke purchased about 7 acres of land from the Ursulines for the cemetery.
1996: A Tomb to the Unborn was dedicated in the “new” cemetery.
1997: Began clearing a new area in the new cemetery for future use, made improvements to the children’s section and created a drainage pond.
2003: First burials in the newly opened part of the cemetery.
2007: New Cemetery Board formed.
Priests Buried in our Cemetery:
Rev. Peter McCourt, 1876, transferred to priests plot (5-AA-7) in old cemetery 1886.
Rev. Michael J. McSwiggan, priests plot (5-AA-10), old cemetery, 1890.
Rev. Michael V. Aylward, priests plot (5-AA-3), old cemetery, 1921.
Rev. Thomas B. Dougherty, priests plot (5-A-6), old cemetery, 1934.
Rev. Julius A. Staniewicz, priests plot (5-A-1), old cemetery, 1987.
Rev. James S. Prendergast, priests plot (5-AA-1), old cemetery, 1936.
Rev. Charles D. Breslin, priests plot (5-AA-5), old cemetery, 1941.
Rev. Thomas J. Lennox, C.S.C. family plot (1-K-33(34)), old cemetery 1907.
Rev. Edward F. Somers family plot (1-M-50(48)), old cemetery, 1916.
Rev. John A. Maloney, family plot (3-A-45), old cemetery, 1946.
Rev. Martin F. Dooley, family plot (2-T-51), old cemetery, 1944.
Rev. Francis X. Dooley, family plot (2-U-52), old cemetery, 1961.
Rev. Cornelius J. Murphy, Sullivan family plot (4-E-3), old cemetery, 1964.
Rev. Donald Poulin, priests plot (E-2-17), new cemetery 1996.
Rev. Donald Licata, priests plot (E-2-18), new cemetery, 2006.
Religious Sisters Buried in our Cemetery:
Sr. Mary Alpheus Coffey, S.C., old cemetery (3-C-45), 1886.
Sr. Maria Elena McMahon, S.C., new cemetery (H-4-1), 1968.
Sr. Marie Joseph Ernestine Seymat, O.S.U., new cemetery (X-4-1), 1941.
Sr. Mary Josephine Nesser, O.C.D., new cemetery (EE-10-6), 2009
Sr. Romaine Welch, O.C.D., new cemetery (EE-10-7), 2010
Notables buried in our parish cemetery:
Melio Bettina, world light heavyweight boxing champion, 1996, new cemetery, P-1-7.
Henry L.A. Forrestal, successful businessman (builder of St. Joachim’s School), 1996, old cemetery, 1-M-5.
J. Gordon Flannery, New York State Supreme Court Judge, 1955, old cemetery, 2–N-28.
Mathias Toohey, prior owner of the property on which St. Joachim’s Church now stands, 1930, old cemetery, 4-A-12. Successful businessman, owner of one of the area’s brickworks.